“Scientific knowledge is in perpetual evolution; it finds itself changed from one day to the next.“,
Jean Piaget (1896-1980, Swiss psychologist – he made a systematic study of the acquisition of understanding in children – developmental psychology).
“Nothing in science has any value to society if it is not communicated.“,
Anne Roe (1904–1991, American clinical psychologist and researcher who studied creativity and occupational psychology; The Making of a Scientist, Chapter I (p. 17), Greenwood Press, Publishers. 1973).
The CNR organizes many different initiatives aimed at raising awareness of the activities and skills acquired within its research network. Alongside the creation of itinerant scientific exhibitions and exhibits, CNR supports the organization of events and initiatives aimed at the general public, and takes care of an intense activity in favor of schools. The ultimate goal is to encourage the advancement of knowledge by bringing society, and in particular the younger generations, closer to the great issues of science and technology.
Our Institute SPIN perfectly reflects this mission and I’m actively involved in science dissemination and outreach activities, in particular for primary school children, in collaboration with the Department of Human Science, University of L’Aquila.
- We started on 27th September 2019, during Street Science, the initiative of the University of L’Aquila to promote the dissemination of scientific culture, which was held in L’Aquila, during the European Researchers’ Night. We presented the event “Making fun with simmetries”.
- On February 17th 2020, we organized a one-day workshop with a morning session on seminars about mathematics for students in Science of Primary Education and afternoon session about didactic laboratories for future teachers. The laboratories were designed by the Tutor group teachers.
- On 27th November 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, in collaboration with University of L’Aquila, we proposed a series of online events for primary school students: “Explaining Infinity or Primary school children” (A. Forsinetti, A. Stroppa), “Geometry in motion: the magic of optical illusions”, (F. di Lanzo, A. Stroppa), “Making fun with symmetries” (K. Giorgini, A. Stroppa).
- Starting from September 2021, we promoted an extended Outreach activity during the whole school year, upon invitation by the schools. The purpose is not to limit these activities to a single day as before, but to involve several days throughout the year, in order to reach many more students. Here a list of the activities carried in the school year 2021-2022:
-“Making fun with symmetries”:
- 06/11/2021 Istituto Comprensivo Mosciano – Bellante – 64023 – Mosciano S. Angelo (TE) – Via Palmiro Togliatti;
Classe 4D from 09.00 to 10.00; Classe 5D from 10.25 to 11.25;
Total: 40 students;
- 10/11/2021 Pontificio Istituto “Maestre Pie Filippini”, L’Aquila – Via XX Settembre, 32 ;
Classe IV: from 09.00 to 10.00;
Classe V: from 10:30 to 11:30;
Total: 42 students;
- 18/11/2021 scuola primaria “M. Pomilio” – Largo Cianfarani- 67051 Avezzano (AQ)
Classe IV A (23 students) from 09.15 to 10.15;
Classe IV B (23 students) from 10:15 to 11:15;
Classe IV C (20 students) from11:15 to 12:15;
Classe V A (22 students) from 14:00 to 15:00;
Classe V C (24 (students) from 15:00 to 16:00;
- 21/12/2021 scuola Primaria di Fossa, via della stazione, L’Aquila
Classi III, IV, V
Total: 25 students;
- 17/01/2022 Scuola Primaria “De Amicis” Istituto Comprensivo “G. Carducci” L’Aquila via della Polveriera N.13, L’Aquila (on-line)
Total: 23 students;
- 04/04/2022 Scuola Primaria di Roccaraso – Istituto Omnicomprensivo “Di Rocco – De Panfilis – Roccaraso“
Classe V from 10:00 to 11:30;
Classe IV from 11:30 to 13:00;
Total: 31 students;
- 21/04/2022 Scuola Primaria di Avezzano, Istituto Comprensivo “Mazzini-Fermi” – Agostino Persia
Classe 4B from 08.30 to 10.00;
Classe 4C from 10:00 to 11:30
- 10/05/2022 Scuola Primaria di Nereto, Via Vittorio Veneto, 1 – 64015 – Nereto – (TE)
Classe 4 A, 4 B from 08.30 to 10.00 (41 students);
Classe 5 A, 5 B from 10.00 to 11.30 (37 students);
- 10/05/2022 Scuola Primaria di Torano, Via Roma – 64010 – Torano Nuovo – (TE)
Classe 5A from 12.00 to 13.30 (16 students);
- 10/05/2022 Scuola Primaria di Sant’Omero, Via Vittorio Emanuele, 2 – 64027 – Sant’Omero – (TE)
Classe 4A, 4B from 15.00 to 16.30 (29 students);
Classe 5A, 5B from 16.30 to 18.00 (32 students);
- 12/05/2022 Pontificio Istituto “Maestre Pie Filippini”, L’Aquila – Via XX Settembre, 32;
Classe IV: from 09:00 to 10:00;
Classe V: from 10:30 to 11:30;
Total: 42 students;
During our activities, we published:
- A technical report describing in details the project “Making fun with symmetries” published in Smart eLab;
- A video introducing the project “Geomateria”
- Infinity explained at Primary School students
- A thesis on “Mathematical Infinity in Primary School”
- Infinity at Primary School Mazzini-Fermi (Avezzano-Italy)
- “Symmetry at Primary School” a one-day Workshop;
- Street Science – “Making Fun with Symmetries”
- Symmetry in Primary school , newpaper;
- Geomateria (Geometry in Matter)
- Symmetry at Primary School “G. Carducci” (L’Aquila); youtube
- Symmetry at Primary Schools in Nereto, Sant’Omero, and Torano (Teramo).